Join or renew your Storrs Society membership
Your gift helps sustain programs for our patients and families year-round.
Storrs Society members are passionate about their continuous commitment and generosity to the Calvary Fund. Their contributions help Calvary Hospital continue to provide comfort, care, and compassion to over 6,000 patients and families every year.
The generosity of Storrs Society donors is recognized with a range of exclusive opportunities to connect with Calvary Hospital including Calvary events, lectures, and seminars.
In 1899, Annie Blount Storrs joined with several other women who were her friends, to open the House of Calvary on Perry Street in Greenwich Village. Their mission was to care for poor women afflicted with cancer and similar diseases.
From the outset, the diligence and devotion of the Women of Calvary was exemplary. They began with a single house and eight patient beds. By 1902, they had already expanded; there were two houses, 24 patient beds, and a waiting list.
Their mission went beyond the care of their patients’ illnesses, to care for the spirit and dignity of life.
Throughout the last century, Calvary has deepened and strengthened its mission of compassionate care. Consistent with its founders’ intent, Calvary has always been a beacon of peace, calm, freedom from pain, and preservation of respect and dignity.
“Patients who can afford to pay, even a small sum, are not received; the aim of the ladies who are at this work being to furnish a home – not a hospital – for those women who are sick, poor and homeless.”
As Calvary begins its second century, it is recognized as the only fully accredited acute care specialty hospital dedicated exclusively to the palliative care of advanced cancer patients.
Yet, after more than 120 years, Calvary remains true to the mission established by Annie Blount Storrs – compassion, respect for the dignity of every patient, and non-abandonment of our patients and their loved ones.
The support of Storrs Society members enables Calvary Hospital to continue to provide our comprehensive clinical care, plus Bereavement Care, Family Care, Therapeutic Recreation and Music Therapy, and Pastoral Care to more than 6,000 patients and families every year.